Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Secret Club

It is a funny thing about being pregnant, you are suddenly thrust in the spotlight. People notice you wherever you go. When I walk into a store or restaurant, people look at me or at my belly. Their reaction is always funny. I am pretty sure they are trying to figure out how far along I am. I know I do the same thing to other preggo ladies... I always stare a little at their bellies.

Strangers are perfectly comfortable coming up to you and making conversation. There is no other time in my life where I talk to more random ladies than when I am pregnant. Today is a good example. I went to eat with my friend, and then we went to Target and Walgreens. In Target, I was looking through the junior section for my teenager, cause she wants some leggings. A lady I do not know strikes up a conversation about my belly. Of course, I always get the same first question, "when are you due?" Usually proceeded by, "is this your first?" We then proceed to have a little conversation about babies and having babies and so forth. It always happens pretty much the same way. We had a nice chat, she congratulated me on my first boy, she shuddered that I was having my THIRD, and went on her way. When we get to the check out counter, the check out girl asks me the infamous question and makes "baby" conversation. Then we head to Walgreens, where the check out girl is psychic and makes her prediction and proceeds to tell me what I am having.... a girl.... WRONG. She claims she is never wrong..... ahem.... I just smile. I mean, what is an appropriate response for me? I saw the ultrasound and there was definitely a "third leg." hahaha. But she was polite, so I just smiled. This is completely typical of my experience EVERY TIME i go somewhere. Especially of check out girls, they have nothing better to do than chat, so they love to make small talk and ask lots of questions about my belly. I always get a really BIG response when I tell them my due date. (which is New Years' Eve). Everyone seems to think that is soooo cool; however, I am thinking I wanna go way before then. :)

It just strikes me as funny that ladies - complete strangers - feel comfortable talking to other pregnant ladies, our own little club. I always notice the nostalgia in their eyes, when they think about their own pregnancies. It is a special time in a woman's life and I am not taking it for granted. I have enjoyed this second trimester to the best of my ability. I enjoy the looks, stares, and smiles I get from strangers. I am carrying life, a little piece of me and Jon, and that is exciting. I am happy to share my excitement and happiness with anyone.


Here is a picture of me in Savannah, GA. :) I recently took a vacation there with my BFF hila. We had an awesome time!!

3 comments:

Linda said...

Good for you for enjoying it. I LOVED being pregnant--sometimes! :)

Nilla said...

That is so funny! Especially the lady in Walgreens who is "never wrong". Hahahaha!!! And I like that pic of you on River Street!

JulieSings said...

That pic of you looks like you in Savannah Ga. I love going there. We only live about 3 hours from there! Enjoy your pregnancy! :o)