Friday, September 5, 2008

bad advice and a bad night

Just when I am convinced that no one is reading my blog, I get some comments. Apparently, I left everyone hanging about the high chair. What a nice surprise that inquiring minds wanted to know if Jon actually did put the high chair together. He did - but ONLY after I got it out and pretended to get started on it myself. haha. After six years of marriage, I've got him figured out. :)

Now to the bad advice that led to a bad night. The doctor told me that since Shayla is rolling onto her stomach at night that I needed to take out the bumper pads. I was surprised! I mean, I have never heard that before, WOW! How are you supposed to know this stuff, it does not say that in the books.....

Last night I went and removed the bumper pads. Thus begins my bad night. My sweet little baby, who never makes a peep after I lay her down for bed, wakes up screaming at 4:00. That is A.M. It is such a jarring way to be awoken. I have jumped and ran before I have even opened my eyes. I go tearing into Shayla's room and, low and behold, she has her arms stuck in between the slats. The slats that are now exposed because I have removed the stupid bumper pads.

I get her fixed and put back in the middle of the crib and proceed back to bed. After twenty minutes my heart has stopped racing and I am back into a nice light sleep.

BUT NOT FOR LONG....

At six something Shay wakes up screaming again. This is not crying, it is screaming! Again, my feet hit the floor before my brain sends the message to my eyes to open. I make it out of the room and into the hallway and I hear Jon say, " I got it". He goes tearing past me and into Shays room, so I stop dead in my tracks and try to gain my bearings.... I mean it is like a football game going on in my house in the middle of the night.... "Alysha, go long"...........

This time ShayShay has her legs sticking out of the crib. She has managed to kick her changing table and knock a bottle off the changing table into her crib. (they are close together, kinda in an L shape.) So, Jon fixes her, but this time there is no going back to sleep for me or Shay. Jon is already up cause he is going to work. Alysha is awake too, because of all the commotion. She said I hit the wall coming off the bed and then I slammed into the door going through the doorway. I obviously made quite some noise. If not for the wall and door, I might have hit the floor.... lol. It was run first, think later. What a night!

I let Shay lay in her crib and play til seven, then I went and fed her. Alysha, Shay and I slept in the den on the floor until nine. N I C E. . . . . . .

5 comments:

Nicole said...

Yeah, I never took Harrison's out because I knew he would get stuck. Oh, I'm insulted you said noone comments... Ahem... Maybe you forgot about me? I am pretty faithful!

Nilla said...

I have never even heard of that advice! That's ridiculous. Was there a reason that rolling over meant you "had" to take then out? It is just in case she gets pushed up against them and can't breathe? I'm not a mom, but I'm with Nicole. I'd leave them in if poor Shay's just getting stuck. Poor baby. And poor mommy!

Katherine Ronachert said...

ugh.
that doctor is nuts!
:)
think lawsuit.

Tarylyn said...

oh weird, ya i never took the bumper pads out myself. only right now they're out (ben's 2 and a half) but he doesn't even sleep in his own bed.. he sadly sleeps with us.. NEVER do that.. lol

Anonymous said...

It is not just a bad doctor's advice...all major health and SIDS autorities recommend bumper pads not be used AT ALL. I never used them with my daughter and wont again. I am sorry that you had such an awful night and hope your little girl is getting used to her new exposed slats.