Tuesday, March 25, 2008

diabetic counseling

Went to my diabetic counseling session today. It was a nightmare. These people are crazy! First of all we were there for two solid hours. It was me, Jon and the diabetic counselor lady. She talked solid the whole time. The Diet she gave me was to the point of ridiculous. Interestingly enough, you do not count your sugars with diabetes, you count carbohydrates. Sugars matter nil. But, according to these people, I have to count my fats, starch, meat, milk, veg and fruit. It is really, really, really complicated. All I got out of it was Don't Don't Don't, Can't Can't Can't. It was awful. It totally stresses me out to think of eating that particularly EVERY TWO HOURS of EVERY DAY. They made it way to hard. WAY! By the way, it is really hard to eat every six hours. All you think about all day long is what food your gonna eat next, it consumes you. I already eat small meals throughout the day, but I only eat five. Here is an example of one meal.

Breakfast: you must have One serving of each of the following: Starch, meat, milk, fat. So their version of a good diabetic breakfast is as follows: 3/4 Cup cereal, One egg, One cup milk, and 1 tbl butter. That's breakfast! (In case your wondering, cheese counts as one serving of meat.) I cannot eat an egg everyday, I tell you that! I am a granola bar/banana kinda girl.

I am going to try the best I can. My lunches were already ok, as were most of my snacks. I just cannot have fruit for breakfast anymore. It is apparently bad for me. My dinners were ok too, she was just concerned about me eating alot of protein. ???? I am only "allowed" 3 ozs of meat. HELLO, I am pregnant and 3 ozs is not enough for a flea, much less a big pregnant gal like me. I just have two words for that little diet, BITE ME.

The only good thing I got out of those two hours was how to prick my finger and ck my blood sugar. I have to prick my finger four times a day. Once before breakfast and then every two hours after a meal. We went out to dinner after the appointment and I ate pretty good, but I had too much starch. I did not care cause I was so mad about the whole stupid thing. We came home and cked my blood sugars two hours later and it was way, way low - SO THERE! Pricking my finger was not as easy as it was in the office, I had to prick myself four times to get enough blood out. YUCK! Luckily, it does not hurt really bad.

My new plan is to continue my healthy eating plan I already folllow, with a few tweaks they suggested, and see what my blood sugar looks like. No way will I start counting all that other stuff, unless I have trouble keeping my blood sugar under control. That lady was crazy, she gave me no leeway. I even asked her what would happen when I cheated a little, cause everybody cheats, right? She did NOT agree, If I did have something sweet, I would have to do without a meal, no exceptions. She was rigid and ridiculous and it was not plan for real life. What do working women do? How do you have time for all that? I am pretty ticked off about the whole experience, can you tell?

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Hang in there, girl. You can and WILL get through this! Shayla will be here before you know it!

Nilla said...

I'm sorry that lady was a nutcase. Yeah, and she sounded like one. Your OB/GYN told you to eat as much meat as you want. I think I'd trust the OB/GYN, being that he has probably dealt with numerous pregnant women who had gestational diabetes. And like you said, you checked your blood sugar and it was way low. I agree that you should just watch your sugars and adjust your eating according to that. You only failed it by 5 points, so she probably just has a set diet plan for everyone with gestational diabetes, whether it's by 5 points or 500... The best thing is that you now have the tools to monitor it! Love you!