Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Are you nesting?

The question in the title is one I get all the time now. Apparently, everything you do in your last three weeks qualifies as nesting. It is too hilarious. When strangers come up to me now 90% of them asking me if I am nesting. People just think this is a really neat thing, this "nesting". I researched it on the internet because I had really not ever heard of this before. I remember vaguely reading about the "nesting instinct", but what is it really? According to the internet, "nesting" can start as early as five months. There is no real definition except that they all agreed is was a time when mom gets everything in order for the baby. hmmmm..... interesting. Some sites said it was linked to a sudden burst of energy, like I had that one day. That was an amazing day. I never got tired, ALL DAY long. It was great. That to me was nesting.

In general, I clean on a daily basis. When family and friends call me and ask me what I am doing, I always seems to be cleaning up this or that and their response is always, "your nesting". Someone called the other day while I was folding Jon's clothes and commented that I must be nesting! Doing the laundry is not nesting, neither is emptying the dishwasher. lol. Now, when I had that burst of energy and I scrubbed baseboards, that was nesting. But, everyone believes everything you do at this point falls under the nesting category. Too funny. I think it is a little silly. Here is a good example. Ok, I get the daily newspaper, have for a few months. I do not want to just throw all those papers in the garbage, goes against my nature to be wasteful like that. So, I have been storing them in the garage in a big big box. My hubby tells me the other day to get them out or throw them away, it is messing up his 'space'. (Its a man thing). I have no idea where to recycle newspapers, so I post a message on my homeschool email loop asking where the recycle centers are in the area. Low and behold, what is the first response I get? "You must be nesting!" No, sherlock, I just wanna recycle my newspapers. Give me a break!

What I find funny when I think about it is if I had Shayla on Thursday and Saturday I was at home folding clothes or cleaning, no one would accuse me of nesting. Suddenly, I would just be cleaning the house again. Cinderella no more....

1 comment:

Nilla said...

Although I sincerely hope you aren't folding clothes on Saturday if you have Shayla on Thursday :). You will still be the post-pregnant princess and you will need your sleep and rest. Let Jon do the housework :).