Sunday, April 13, 2008

Childbirth classes - Let's get naked

Jon and I went to class yesterday. It was an interesting experience. The good thing about the class was they talked alot about the coaches responsibility, what to do and what not to do. Hopefully Jon was learning. Then, we watched a video that taught us relaxation breathing. That is what I was really looking for, I could not remember my breathing. Those techniques are what saved me during those long hours of labor last time. Using the focal point and using my breathing techniques is the only thing that got me through all the pain. The only disappointment was that she did not talk about breastfeeding at all. I wanted some instruction on that.

Then, we watched some live births. Two at home and two at hospitals. It was, in a word, YUCK. I have been telling Jon what a natural and beautiful thing birth is, but now I know the truth. There is nothing natural or wonderful about what we saw. Watching other women give birth made me not want to do it myself. I don't see why you need to see all that, it was disgusting.

We started with an at home birth and the woman was completely naked. Then we saw a hospital birth and again the woman was completely naked. LOL. So, I blurted out in class, "why are all these women naked?" Everybody laughed at me, but I was just shocked to see these women stripped down. I mean, I did not get buck naked to have a baby, I had my gown on. The other two women were also just as naked as could be. The nurse teaching the class said that was normal, alot of women stay naked throughout the whole experience, they even walk around without clothes on. LOL. Really? why? Needless to say, I don't see the logic. Now, don't get me wrong, I know modesty goes out the window when you give birth, last thing on your mind. I have been there, I just didn't understand why ALL the women did not wear ANYTHING. So funny!

At the end of class we got down on the floor and practiced breathing and having a contraction. That was really neat for me, having Jon there and doing it together like that. I really enjoyed that part. Jon is going to be a great coach. I did not take a class like that the first time around. I took some classes, but not one with couples. (Maybe they had single mom classes?) I watched videos of couples sitting around practicing, but they did not do that in class. It was special for me to have my husband there and experience that together. We are preparing together to bring Shay into the world!

Interestingly enough, I was the one who was farthest along out of all the couples. I wanna shout, "ME FIRST, ME FIRST!" I am next. :)

2 comments:

Nilla said...

"You go first" :). This is so funny... Love the title. I bet lots of people were wondering about that title... Yeah, I wouldn't be walking around naked either...

Katherine Ronachert said...

ewwww... although i was barely clothed for the first, i still had some of the gown on. although, if i did the whole natural thing in a hot tub...
that might be nice.