Thursday, April 17, 2008

Doctors appointment

Today was a busy day. Jon and Alysha got up at eight and went out to breakfast together, a little daddy daughter time. ( I took a little nap on the couch, a little lazy pregnant woman time!). They came home and woke me up and I got ready to go to Gainesville. We rolled out of here about noon and headed on up. We wanted to eat lunch first before our appointments. I had two appointments today. The first one was for a tour of the maternity ward at 3:00 and my doctors appointment was at 3:45.

We went to Gainesville to grab a bite and hit Best Buy before the 3:00 appointment. After much discussion, we ended up eating at Zaxby's. Oh My Goodness!! I LOVE that place. I had, for the first time since I found out about the diabetes, really bad for me food! I ate a four pieces of chicken and alot of frency fries, all dipped in the special sauce. To wash it all down I had sweet nectar from heaven (a.k.a. - Sweet Tea). It was SOOOO good!!! I have not eaten food like that in sooooo long. (Well, really its only been like two months, but it feels like forever when you are craving it. lol). Then we headed off to Best Buy to buy a new computer. Did I mention my husband fried our old one?

After successfully purchasing the computer we wanted, we were cutting close on time, so we headed to the hospital for our tour. We toured the maternity ward on the third floor (I rode the elevator, woohoo!). The birthing rooms are extremely nice. They are huge! All the furniture in the room is cherry wood, including the bassinet thing you put the baby in. They all have brand new couches and a recliner chair that turns into a bed. They have a rocking chair and a table in the corner. The whole set up was so nice and cozy. Some of the rooms have a tub in them, if you want to get in the tub while in labor, although they don't let you give birth in the water. Not that I had even considered it. :) Then we saw the rooms were you go post labor. They are also nice with brand new recliners and a rocking chair. No couch and not a big as the birthing suites but the beds are all brand new with thick mattresses. All in all we were very impressed with all of it. The security is tight and I liked that.

Next was the doctors appointment. I have gained one pound since my last visit. That puts me at a total of 20 pounds now. I saw the other midwife today for the first time, she does not do births, only office appointments. (I don't know why.) She was extremely nice. I am 50% effaced and I am still only one cm dilated. She said my cervix was extremely soft and that is a good sign. The baby has also dropped down, which I already knew by my ability to take deep breaths. :) I spoke with her about my concern of the baby's size. She mashed and squished on my tummy to feel the baby (which did not feel good for mommy) and she feels like Shay is about seven pounds. She spoke with my doctor about the possibility of another ultrasound. He feels that since my blood sugars are completely under control, my measurements are great, and since the baby does not feel large that there is no need to have one. If I make it to my due date, we will make some decisions then. So, all in all, it was a good visit.

FYI - I took my blood sugars 2.5 hours after I ate (30 minutes late) and they were completely normal. Drinking sweet tea did not spike my sugars. Isn't that crazy? I wonder about this diabetes diagnosis sometimes.

2 comments:

Nilla said...

I'm proud of you for riding the elevator :)!

Good news about Shay feeling to be about 7 pounds! A perfect size!

Only 2 more weeks until you're due (if you make it that long!)

Katherine Ronachert said...

i think shayla just likes tea so she probably absorbed it all before your blood could even register it as sweet.
maybe the same thing goes for your other sweets...